Monday, August 24, 2009

PhotoFu; GServo's Thoughts on the Sigma DP2

dp2 039

I did not discern what I was in store for when I received my loaner Sigma DP2 Camera. Oh The scores of Pictures I have taken, accompanied by fanatical laughter (using my inside voice of course, no really!!! ). It has to be understood, I really have developed an affection for this camera. The pictures were so pleasant to take and behold. So far the Sigma Dp2 is the best camera I've ever used.

a sick thursday 083

First off the DP2 boldly has the heart of a DLSR thumping at its core. Saying that, it’s a camera preordained for people with a certain level of patience. This Camera is not sympathetic to rushing shots. The camera works best when you put modest thought towards taking a picture. What its FOVEON X3® picks up is amazing. The camera is not hard to learn, especially if you have experience with ‘Manual mode’ on other cameras.

a wednsday 040

If you don’t have experience, it will take a little determination to get your pictures correct, initially. The menus were very easy for this geek to learn. I did not have any issues with them what so ever. My Geek Intuition Wrapped my brain around it very fast. Adjusting things was very easy, and the DP2’s manual focus was purely splendid.

one way

The Sigma has an Amazing 'Depth of Field' control to it. I was caught off guard at first. The first set of pictures I took were at a Train station I use every day. I got to look at the station in a new light after those initial shots. The DP2’s Manual Focus was my favorite part of the Camera, I rarely did not use it.

weekend 056

The Camera’s Body was unique. As I was using it, I sometimes got the comment that the Camera did not look like much. That’s one of my Favorite things about the camera. It's a great camera to hold, fitting in my hands nicely. Very lite to me, but not flimsy.

a sick thursday 078

Sigma DP2 Specs
-Format FOVEON X3® Direct

-Image Sensor (CMOS) Image Sensor Size 20.7×13.8mm (0.8 inch×0.5 inch)

-Number of Pixels Effective Pixels 14.06MP (2652×1768×3 layers)

-Aspect Ratio 3:2 Focal Length 24.2mm F2.8 (35mm equivalent focal length:41mm) –

-Lens Construction 6 Groups 7

-Elements Shooting Range 28cm??(Full Mode)

-Storage Media SD Card/Compatible with SDHC,Multi Media Card

Full Specs here http://sigma-dp.com/DP2/specification.html

20090823-last sunday with DP2 013

It’s Hard to complain about anything on this Camera. It Performed as it should have. Did I desire anything? Yes, an optical zoom of some sort would have been nice. In the end that is just my personal opinion. I am just a student in the art of Photo Fu.

friday morning 057

Shooting with the Sigma DP2 made me feel like a trainee being able to practice with a master level sword for the first time. I have a bit of faith that says I will own this camera or maybe it's predecessor, one day. Sigma would be a fool not to continue the evolution of the DP line. I didn't want to write this review at all. It basically meant I was at the twilight of my demo period. I have to reluctantly return the Sigma dp2b.This makes my heart is heavy.

20090823-last sunday with DP2 002

The Sigma DP2 does not play to the Common understanding. It’s a Piece of art meant to produce art.



Created with flickr slideshow.

Thanks To www.akihabaranews.com for the Inspiration

Thanks to Sigma for the Camera Loan

Operation Sigma DP2
Done

No comments:

Post a Comment